Starting the 27th of August InsomniROCK is back on the airwaves! We’ve got more tunes, more experience, more guests and more ambition in our Pog stack than you can slam with a ninja star. We’re back in our original time slot, Saturdays 2-4am, so tune in to keep the party going and get some requests ready. Afterwords, stay tuned for Dave X and It’s Too Damn Early. It’s going to be a helluva year!
It’s been a while since InsomniROCK has Blogapussed. It’s been even longer since we’ve gone to see a show. Blame Midwest Warming. Blame monetary challenges. Blame Redtube. On the 27th, InsomniROCK went to The Gasthaus in downtown Elgin to see The Love Shots, who have been heard on the show, and had the pleasure of seeing two other great bands, brick mower and Black Wine. Besides from that night with the twins, this was the best ménage à trois of noise I’d ever heard. It definitely brought InsomniROCK back from the dead. So, I guess we are zombies now.
Straight outa New Jersey come brick mower and Black Wine touring together and sharing couches, saliva (what’s sixsome in French?) and a drum set. They’ve suffered through seven hour drives to rock sun-swept Buffalo, NY and dreamy Detroit, MI in a four-door and a mini-van. These bands have got rocks, too, ‘cause they don’t even have a spare tire (more room for the drugs). While playing in Buffalo they shared the stage with a band called The Butt Babies at Jumbo’s Place. Coincidentally, after learning this I had a great idea for a…movie.
brick mower is Eric (guitar and vocals), Kristin (bass) and Steve (drums). Steve hammers on the kit like John Henry on a railroad spike and Kristin has her bass up to 11 creating a great noise background for Eric to coat on some riffs and vocals. Kristin asserts that “nothing crazy” has happened on this tour so far but the fact that she is actually a Taliban agent and adhering to a severe allegiance of silence is undoubted. Eric cites Superchunk and Dinosaur Jr. as influences on the band’s sound. They also have free stickers. Which is pimp. Take a listen to brick mower and slap a sticker on the crotch of your pants like I did.
Black Wine is Jeff (guitar and vocals), Jay (bass and vocals) and Miranda (drums and vocals). Jeff lays down some great guitar work on top of the nice bass grooves by Jay and drumming from Miranda. What really caught my aural attention, though, was the use of three vocalists. At times it would be just one member, then another would join in and the other would drop out and then the other would join in. During one of their last songs all three came together and it really rocked. Jay says that all three write their lyrics and if someone sounds better singing a certain verse they’ll go ahead with that. Black Wine is influenced by early 90’s sub-pop and SST. Jeff used to play guitar for The Ergs! so, if you like them, check out Black Wine.
Both Brick Mower and Black Wine are looking for something to do for the next couple days so if you have an idea of a venue, let them know! And watch out Minnesota, Milwaukee and Iowa City, ‘cause you’re next.
The Love Shots are Danny (guitar and vocals), Rob (bass) and Johnny (Drums). They have been making Elgin shake and move for a while now and are getting some rave revues from a couple dudes face down at the bar. Rob says they are heavily influenced by the 50’s sound and bands such as The Shangri-Las, the Ramones and the Misfits (who The Love Shots opened for when they came to the Clearwater Theater). Their sound is refreshing, like a strawberry shake at the soda fountain with your favorite poodle-skirt wearing gal. The band incorporates medleys into their set, including a terrific melting together of The Ramones’ “The KKK Took My Baby Away” and Wayne Cochran’s “Last Kiss.” They’re also great at improvising when guitar strings snap. Currently the band is planning a tour and is in the market for a van. So, how ‘bout donating your mom’s mini-van when she’s not looking?
Thanks to all three bands for chatting with me and putting on a great show! If you see ’em out there, say “hi.” They’re good people.
I’d also like to give a big ups to Rich at Rediscover Records for getting me in touch with my vinyl side. InsomniROCK is now spinning records! Go check out his great collection of grooved vinyl.
Check out this link for a FREE download of Fest 10 Compilation #1. It ripped the flux capacitor straight outa my DeLorean. Thanks to Matt Danger! for the link.
If you know of any great shows coming up let us now on the comments section of this blog or email us toll-free at email@example.com. You can also like us on Facebook. Be sure to check out the other great bloggers on The Blogapus and thank the Spaghetti Monster for punk rock.
This was the second to last show until the Fall and overall it was probably the best second to last show InsomniROCK has ever been involved in.
Now that finals are over InsomniROCK is adding water for the next show, tonight, and going for four hours! If my long division is correct that’s almost twice the fun.
I’m going to be at Tres Hombres tonight checking out the band MathGames. They’re described as “an electro-funktronic rave-up.” So, if you’re into that, you should come by. If you see/hear me there, say hello!
If you like what you’re hearing on InsomniROCK or if you want to physically remove your ears with a can opener whenever the shows on let me know by leaving a comment here or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As for the tunes…
The Mugwumps – Radiate My Brain
Jets to Brazil – Milk and Apples
Dax Riggs – Radiation Blues
A Wilhelm Scream – William Blake Overdrive
Bad Religion – Flat Earth Society
Pearl Jam – Do the Evolution
Cobra Skulls – There’s a Skeleton in My Military Industrial Closet
The Dopamines – Cupidity
The Groovie Ghoulies – Happy Birthday Song
The Unseen – Scream Out
Sundowner – Jewel of the Midwest
Chevelle – The Red
Nothington – A Mistake
Faith No More – Everything’s Ruined
The Lawrence Arms – Cut it Up
Iron Maiden – The Trooper
Teenage Bottle Rocket – Fall for Me
The Aqua Bats – Super Rad
Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
Less Than Jake – Science of Selling Yourself Short
Operation Ivy – The Crowd
The Love Shots – Shutterbug
Electric Six – Future Boys
The Black Keys – I got Mine
Bad Brains – Banned in D.C.
Naked Raygun – Soldier’s Requiem
Banner Pilot – Uptown Sleep Solution
Atom and His Package – Upside Down from Here
Dax Riggs – Skulls
Blink 182 – M and M’s
Chixdigit! – Mila, Caroline and Me
Acid Bath – What Color is Death?
The Bollweevils – On My Own
The Bouncing Souls – Manthem
The Clash – Rudy Can’t Fail
Common Rider – Midnight Passenger
Off With Their Heads – I Just want You to Know
The Mating Game took place on the 23rd on WDBX’s InsomniROCK! Two rugged eligible HeMates and two dazzling eligible SheMates took their voices to the airwaves. Questions were asked and compatibilities were measured and we all ended up going back to HeMate #1’s place for a game of Twister. An evening to forget… Speaking of Twister we had some severe storm and tornado warnings. Leave a comment if you have a wild weather story!
Only two more InsomniROCK shows until the fall, depressing I know. There is a surprise in the works for the last show, which will be the night of Friday the 13th (is that a clue!?)/morning of the 14th. If there is something you want to hear before the hiatus leave a comment on this post or check out the Facebook.
Of course, some great tunes were also played. Here they are:
1. Pennywise – Land Down Under
2. Dax Riggs – Wall of Death
3. Rancid – Rwanda
4. Peeping Tom – Five Seconds
5. Weezer – Susane
6. Face to Face – Promises
7. Lamb of God – What I’ve Become
8. Fight Like Apes – Lend Me Your Face
9. The Gaslight Anthem – Angry Johnny and the Radio
10. Chinese Tlephones – Back to You Again
11. The Bouncing Souls – Kid
12. MGMT – Kids
13. Alkaline Trio – Mr. Chainsaw
14. Voodoo Glow Skulls – The Band Geek Mafia
15. 7 Seconds – 99 Red Ballons
16. F.Y.P. – Don’t Have Another One
17. Jawbreaker – With or Without U2
18. Led Zeppelin – Houses of the Holy
19. Crimpshrine – Summertime
20. KMFDM – A Drug Against War
21. Lovage – Pit Stop (Take Me Home)
22. The Broadways – 15 Minutes
23. Elvis Hitler – Black Death on a White Horse
24. The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army
25. The Copyrights – You and I
26. Tricky Dick – These Days
27. Foo Fighters – One By One
28. The Black Keys – Next Girl
29. Smash Mouth – So Insane
30. Sunrise Avenue – Choose to be Me
31. Asian Kung Fu Generation – Rashinban
32. The Offspring – Nitro (Youth Energy)
33. A Whilhelm Scream – William Blake Overdrive
34. The Dead Milkmen – Punk Rock Girl
It’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month and we had Chris and Miriam in the studio to talk about what our community is doing to spread awareness and take action against sexual assault. Thanks for coming by guys!
For more information check out the Wellness Center’s webpage here.
Thanks for all of the requests, everyone; kept me very busy!
Tonight’s show is…The Mating Game! Should be fun. If you have a request you can leave it here.
Here’s your playlist!
1. Smoke or Fire – California’s Burning
2. Faith No More – As the Worm Turns
3. Jawbreaker – Ashtray Monument
4. The Methadones – On the Clock
5. Dilenger Escape Plan – Come to Daddy
6. Blue Meanies – Acceleration 5000
7. Black Flag – TV Party
8. My Chemical Romance – Give ‘Em Hell Kid
9. My Big Beautiful – Lisa’s not Afraid
10. The Mr. T Experience – Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba
11. Rx Bandits – Analog Boy
12. Bad Religion – I Want to Conquer the World
13. 88 Fingers Louie – Past Mistakes
14. Local H – Toxic
15. The Adicts – My Baby Got Run Over by a Steamroller
16. The Falcon – The Lazyboy 500
17. The Exploding Hearts – Your Shadow
18. Laura Stevenson and the Cans – Landslide
19. The Mars Volta – The Widow
20. Nerf Herder – Annalee
21. Bollweevils – Dehumanize
22. The Lawrence Arms – Quicentuple Your Money
23. Nickleback – Rock Starr
24. Operation Ivy – Here We Go Again
25. The Hives – Knock Knock
25. Eight Dayz – What’s so Strange About Me?
26. Pegboy – Superstar
27. Katy Perry – ET
28. Marked Men – Like Robots
29. The Copyrights – Locked Outside a Motel Without Shoes, a Wallet, or a Phone
30. The Blood Brothers – Ambulance vs. Ambulance
31. The Broadways – Restless
32. Proud Scum – I Am a Rabbit
33. Blink 182 – Aliens Exist
34. The Offspring – Have You Ever
35. Cock Sparrer – Riot Squad
36. Squirtgun – Another Sunny Afternoon
The Chicago Herpetological Society’s Reptile Fest went on the weekend of April 9th and 10th and was a major success. Over 5,000 people showed up to pet some reps! There were snakes, crocodiles, chameleons, turtles, iguanas, and more! One volunteer even had an iguana on top of a snake…on top of his head. It was wild. The show aims at showing children and adults that reptiles and amphibians are friendly animals and can make good pets, as long as they are handled safely.
Here’s the playlist:
1. Iggy and the Stooges – Search and Destroy
2. Green Day – Going to Pasalaqua
3. Slick Shoes – Friday Night
4. The Groovie Ghoulies – I Wanna Have Fun
5. The Copyrights – Cashiers
6. Wesley Willis – Rock ‘N’ Roll McDonalds
7. Common Rider – Small Pebble
8. Lost Prophets – Last Train Home
9. NOFX – Pump Up the Valium
10. Millencolin – Penguins and Polar Bears
11. Defiance Ohio – Condition 11:11
12. Dillenger Four – Noble Stabbings!!
13. Dr. Frank – Knock Knock
14. The Haddonfields – Highschool Runaway
15. Mr. Bungle – Air Conditioned Nightmare
16. Mustard Plug – Miss Michigan
17. The Dopamines – The Dispatch
18. Operation Ivy – Badtown
19. Michael Jackson – Thriller
20. Tiger Army – Atomic
21. Blur – TV and Coffee
22. Ann Bereta – Love’s easy Tears
23. Rancid – Salvation
24. The Forgetters – The Night Accelerates
25. The Hives – A Get Together to Tear it Apart
26. Seal – Kiss from a Rose
27. The Marked Men – Hate Me Anyway
28. Mad Caddies – Cup O Tea
29. Queens of the Stone Age – First it Giveth
30. Sass Dragons – Makin’ Love
31. Shot Baker – I’m Sorry Illinois
32. I Voted for Kodos – Just Want You to Know
33. The Lawrence Arms – The Corpses of Our Motivations
34. fIREHOSE – In My Mind
35. Bollweevils – Finale
After a battle royal game of 4-square, tennis style, InsomniROCK set up shop with three guests: Megan, Kathy and Nicole. We talked with Megan about the model United Nations on campus (if you’re interested check out the model U.N. page), chatted with Kathy about Germany and with Nicole about China.
InsomniROCK: Kathy, what is your fourth favorite thing about America?
Kathy: The cheap domestic airplane tickets. Flying to L.A. wasn’t very expensive.
InsomniROCK: Nicole, on a scale of 17-28, 21 being the highest, how would you rate America’s rail roads?
Nicole: I’d have to say a 23, the trains are fast. Although, there was a guy on the train making heaps of noise.
We played some German songs, got some great requests from callers and our Facebook and had a fun time chatting in the studio. Thanks for coming ladies and thanks to Kathy for helping with the German pronunciations! We hope the rest of your stay here is a great experience. And don’t be surprised if we show up on your doorsteps one day.
Remember, the Midwest Music Fest starts this Wednesday at Tres Hombres and Hanger 9. The fest is going to be going on till Saturday night. Get out there and enjoy some tunes!
Thanks for listening and here’s your playlist:
1. Tiger Army – Annabel Lee
2. Biscayne – Go for the Kill
3. Red City Radio – Dead Friends don’t Pay Debts
4. The Falcon – The Routes We Wander
5. Reel Big Fish – Beer Song
6. Dear Landlord – Rosa
7. The Ramones – Let’s Dance
8. Stiff Little Fingers – Alternative Ulster
9. The Broadways – Police Song
10. Far From Finished – Watch Your Back
11. Guns and Roses – Paradise City
12. Teen Idols – 20 Below
13. Fantastischen Vier – Gebt Uns
14. The Explosion – No Revolution
15. Bl’ast – Surf and Destroy
16. Pulley – Gone
17. Disturbed – Indestructable
18. Oasis – Wonderwall
19. The Peacocks – How do You Know?
20. Faith No More – Anne’s Song
21. Prizzy Prizzy Please – Campfire Girls’ Weekend
22. Wenn Es Passiert – Wirsind Helden
23. Alkaline Trio – Armageddon
24. Social Distortion – I Was Wrong (live)
25. Steppenwolf – Born to be Wild
26. Millencolin – Fingers Crossed
27. Wild Murphy and the New Year – Hang Your Head Down Low
28. The Weakerthans – Aside
29. The Adicts – Chinese Takeaway
30. Yonder Mountain String Band – 40 Miles
31. Toys That Kill – Keep Caroline
32. Bonus – 10 W. Main Street
33. Xavier Rudd – Let Me Be
34. AFI – He Who Laughs Last
35. Die Aerzte – Lasse Redn
36. The Bouncing Souls – Hopeless Romantic